Pages

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Jersey Shore Half Marathon Update

So, I completed my first Half Marathon last week! I am so happy I didn't stop to walk even though my legs/feet were killing me and I had to pee finished the race. My time was 1 hour 56 minutes and 20 seconds. Also happy that I finished at a time that was way faster that what I expected and was pacing for originally (2hrs 20 minutes, or about 10 minutes per mile). I actually kept it around 9 minutes per mile. I know that's not like an all-star pace, but I thought it was pretty awesome considering that I've never been on my feet for that many consecutive miles in my life.

This was Ralph's 2nd Half Marathon. He finished 6 minutes faster than his last time. Good job honey! He also broke a 2 hour Half Marathon.

I remember reading about other people's Half Marathon experiences, and all I can say is that, while the descriptions were SOOOOO helpful as far as preparing me mentally, nothing could compare to going out there and experiencing this race for myself (oh, except for this awesome post by Angela of Oh She Glows. Now I relate a bit better, too.) I really want to do more long distance races like this in the future. Currently, I don't have any plans for another Half, but I do have my eye on a Halloween themed race in 3 weeks, hosted in Manayunk and, aptly named, Hallowyunk. How cute :).

Better get off my butt and start running again (now that my knees no longer feel like someone took a hammer to them).

Oh another thing: Ralph and I are volunteering at the Philadelphia Marathon this year. Obviously, running in that race would have been really cool (and hopefully we can do it this year) but by the time we wanted to sign up, the price was quite expensive (I gather they all are, at least if you don't jump on it as soon as they open registration). Though I'd love to be in the race, I look forward to being part of the volunteer crew- you get to share the energy of the crowd with the runners, cheer them on, just have a good time hanging out around this beautiful and historic town. I can't wait!

-Emma

0 comments:

Post a Comment