Pages

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Tuesday Farm Day

Happy Thursday everybody! 

Here's my recap of my adventures on Tuesday.

I didn't get out and go running on Tuesday, but I did pick up my vegetables at the farm. I literally had to pick up the paste tomatoes:
These paste tomatoes are great for making tomato sauces due to their lower water content/'higher solid content' than other tomatoes. Basically, you can use any kind of tomato you'd like to make sauce, but these tomatoes produce a less watery sauce.

Also picked up some ground cherries. The ones that have fallen off the plant are ripe for 'picking':

They are the little yellow things above and left of my fingers. The ground cherries are encased in a husk, much like a tomatillo.

See?
Remove the husk to find a cute little yellow or green little fruit. They are similar to cherry tomatoes, but just a little bit sweeter. Here's a recipe showing how to use it in a pie, which I will test out if I can save enough to make two little pies.

So, when I came home from the farm with my loot, I immediately began cutting up my tomatoes and threw them into the slow cooker.
Yep, that guy is filled to the brim.

A few hours in on high:

After cooking overnight:
I threw in some fresh basil, too. 

I also made some salsa verde on Tuesday, with 1/4c tomatillos from the previous week's share:

Yum!

The end product after blending in the food processor. I have to say I was a little hesitant about making this because I thought it would be labor intensive; I was mistaken. All I had to do was chop up the veggies and throw them in the pan with a bit of water!

And it was so worth it. The salsa verde was AWESOME on tonight's burrito!

Needless to say, I did a bit of cooking on Tuesday night. 

Wednesday events:
Yesterday, Ralph and I ran 2.85 miles in 25 minutes. This was the perfect distance for us on a weeknight.

Our next run is scheduled for this Saturday (hopefully in the morning before it gets too hot and humid!)

On another note/while the Olympics are still in session:
I heard about this tumblr on Gawker, Mckayla Is Not Impressed. 1. McKayla Maroney's expression is priceless. 2. I like that she is so okay with being the inspiration for an Olympics meme. I'm sure so many other people would take this wayyyy too seriously and get upset. She's rolling with it and displaying so much class. 

That's all for today. Yay, it's almost Friday!!!




0 comments:

Post a Comment