Pages

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Making Funny Faces.... Again

Good morning (again)! So, after my bike ride last night (and after eat light all day), I was really hungry, so I wanted to make something quick, so I threw together this neat, meatless sauce!

^My dish + a little extra later on
^Here's a close up.

And since I threw this together all on my own, here's the recipe:

-1Tbsp Olive oil
-1/2 chopped white onion (I used red- I had half that I wanted to use up)
-1/2 chopped red pepper
-2 small cloves/ 1 big clove garlic, minced or pressed
- salt and pepper
-small can of plain/ basil crushed tomatoes or plain tomato sauce
-1/2 tsp basil (if using plain sauce) and 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 cup cooked lentils (I think you can get this canned too)
-1/2 lb pasta
-baking soda

Start boiling the water for the pasta and cook as directed while preparing the sauce:

Heat the olive oil a little bit, then throw in the onions. Coat the onions as best you can with the olive oil and cook until translucent. Then throw in the red pepper, and cook for 3-4 minutes, (or until your onions look like they can't take the heat anymore haha!). Throw in the garlic, cook for literally a minute, while mixing constantly. Pour in the tomato sauce/crushed tomatoes and the cooked/canned lentils. Let this simmer for a few minutes. If you're cooking your pasta at this point, you can focus on that. Once your pasta is done, start adding your spices: basil, oregano, salt and pepper to taste. After this, if you haven't already done so, taste your sauce. If it seems like it needs more of a certain spices, feel free to add more!

Now, if you like the bitterness from the tomatoes, then you can stop here and enjoy your sauce and pasta. If you're like me, and you don't quite like the bite from the acidity then try this trick: Pour a small amount of baking soda into one hand (less than 1/8 tsp). With the other hand, take a tiny, tiny tiny pinch and drop it into the sauce. Mix the sauce well and taste. If it's still a bit too bitter for your liking repeat cautiously. I promise, a little goes a long way here and if you use more than 2-3 tiny pinches ( for this amount of sauce, a larger pot of sauce can handle a little bit more), you will start to taste the baking soda! Once you have adjusted it to your liking, top the pasta with the sauce and throw your favorite cheese on top ( I used parm).

This morning, my funny faced breakfast made an appearance again!
My fav: fried egg, wheaty toast with Teddy peanut butter and blueberry jam (Ahhh I'm running out!)
and half a banana

Then I went for a swim- 35 minutes. It was great! When I first started swimming a few weeks ago, I was tired after one pool length. Today I was at least able to keep going and I swam freestyle the whole time! I was so happy. I'm def not a pro, but I'm getting somewhere and I'm not intimidated by the pool anymore.

After the swim, I finished the other half of my banana and had some carrots and hummus:
I cut the carrot up by hand into these lovely, chunks. Somehow, I think I liked these carrots more than usual, perhaps because it took me about 5 minutes to cut up this one carrot, haha!

I'll catch you later! Have a great day!

0 comments:

Post a Comment